A Wrinkle in Time?



 I read A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet) for the first time around 1995, fifth grade. For my entire grade school career I read above my level, but I didn't understand this book. And it made me mad, and so I never reread it. But as it turns out, pieces of it stuck with me. 

I finally decided to reread the book after seeing posters around town for the movie adaptation. (Apparently there was a made for TV Wrinkle a few years back. I guess I missed that.) I ordered the book on Amazon and stuck in on the top of my ever growing pile of books next to my bed. There are about 20 or 30 books sitting there, most of which I have owned for quite some time but haven't gotten around to reading. Seeing them there is supposed to motivate me to read them so I can put them on my bookshelf or give them away and make more room on my cluttered nightstand, but somehow I always buy a new book that needs reading first and then there they all remain, neglected but hopeful. I read somewhere that the best time to read a book is when you first acquire it, and that seems to be true. But anyway I digress.

SO I got the book and I read it. It took me about 5 days of reading as much as I could at bedtime before passing out. This is actually quite a long time for me as I used to read most books in one sitting. (I read HP and the Deathly Hallows in 5 hours). At the part where they try to explain the tesseract and the fifth dimension, there are a few drawings. I had a flashback (tesser?) to reading this book on the playground in fifth grade. I remembered those drawings. I've always had a fairly photographic memory and basically remember every picture I've ever seen, although not necessarily the context. Whenever the subject of different dimensions has come up in the past 20 years, the images from this book have floated to the forefront of my mind. I just didn't know where they came from. The brain is such an interesting thing.

I saw the movie last weekend. They did an amazing job of bringing the imagery in the book to life. The book was written in the 60s while the movie was set in the current time, and it stills holds. The triumph of love over evil never gets old. 

Comments

Popular Posts